A small rock-lined stream meanders through Tatlow Park, crossed by small footbridges. Large trees tower over quiet seating areas, making this a quiet place to read a book or bring children to enjoy the playground.
This is one of the city’s oldest parks. It was purchased from T.E. Calland in 1907 for the sum of $10,600 and on July 26, 1911 it was named for The Honourable R.G. Tatlow, Minister of Finance, and a former Park Commissioner who had served on its first Board in 1888 and thereafter for 18 consecutive years with 9 of those years as Chairman. Tatlow was killed in a tragic fall from his horse while in Victoria on April 11, 1911.
There have been tennis courts at this location since 1913, some of the earliest in the city.