China Creek North is a large open space with a popular jogging track, open fields, and playground. Some of the most interesting views in the area can be had from the high point of the park, including the North Shore Mountains and the remaining industrial areas of Southeast False Creek.
The site was originally known as Douglas Park and was purchased in 1911 as an easement for a trunk sewer. The sewer would capture the waters of one of Vancouver’s natural streams –China Creek- named for the Chinese gardens located along its banks. This surrounding area was once Maddams Ranch named for Charles Maddams who came to Canada attached to the household of the then Governor General, the Marquis of Lorne. Maddams stayed on in Canada and served on the personal staff of the Lt. Governor in Victoria but eventually left service and purchased the China Creek site which he had seen on an earlier hunting trip to Vancouver. Maddams lost the farm to taxes and it was turned over to the Park Board by the City in 1922, becoming a part of China Creek Park.
This site was also the location of an indoor bicycle track built for the 1954 Empire Games. The track was demolished in the late 1970s.