Tucked into an attractive neighbourhood, Cartier Park is lined with beautiful trees, benches, and an abundance of flowering plants. The park also features an interesting community art piece by artists Karen Kazmer, Mark Grady, and Todd Davis.
This site was acquired through tax sales in 1931 and is believed to be named for either Jacques Cartier, the discoverer of the St. Lawrence River or Sir Jacques George Cartier, an eminent statesman at the time of Canadian Confederation in 1867.
In March 1949 the Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) acquired most of the park from the City with only the easterly 150 feet retained for park purposes. Stipulations made at the time of the land sale to the CNIB stated that no future building could be erected on the Cartier Park site, beyond the original building, without prior Park Board approval. The CNIB requested an expansion in 1957 but City Council passed a resolution stating that their ownership of land extended only to the “foot print” of their building with all else designated as parkland.