Douglas Park offers ample open fields, community center, and playground area, all popular destinations. The main tree-lined promenade is a pleasant place to sit and take in views of the entire park.
Originally part of the Point Grey Municipality before the city was amalgamated in 1929, this park was first established in 1926 through a money bylaw. The name was decided upon through a community competition and is in commemoration of Sir James Douglas, first Governor of the Colony of British Columbia. Before being designated a park, this area was a logging camp in the 1870s and was later a grazing site for elk. In 1882 the acreage became the site for the first market garden south of False Creek.
In December of 1964 a local improvement money bylaw was passed allowing construction of a new $100,000 recreation facility at the park which has evolved, over many decades, into Douglas Park Community Centre.