This expansive park, located in a quiet neighbourhood, is a pleasant place for walking or jogging. Balaclava’s grassy fields are frequented by sports teams, neighbours, and children alike.
Named for an adjacent street, which in turn was named for a famous battle of the Crimean War, Balaclava Park has served as a recreational greenspace since about 1938. Before the City of Vancouver amalgamation in 1929, the Point Grey Municipality had set aside several lots for park purposes but the site was not totally assembled before 1929.
The running track at Balaclava was completed in time for the 1954 British Empire Games and served as the number two training facility. The Track and Field Committee for the Games commended the Park Board for the excellent conditions at the track. Later the Board was recognized for providing training facilities at the grassroots level thereby aiding athletes in their achievements of breaking three Canadian and six BC track and field records.