Granville Park consists of two spaces separated by Pine Street. On the west side, steps lead into a sunken, grassed court lined with cedar and hornbeam, while the east portion of the park includes tennis courts and shaded seating areas. Both spaces are inviting for a game of soccer or a quiet stroll.
On November 11, 1914, the Park Board officially named this park in honour of Earl Granville, Britain’s Colonial Secretary in 1886 when Vancouver was incorporated as a city. Originally the official name for the settlement was “Granville”, not Vancouver. That had changed by 1886 and in 1913 the Ward 6 Ratepayers Association suggested honouring Earl Granville with a park naming.