Elm Park offers many recreational opportunities, including lawn bowling, tennis, and field sports. Several benches offer engaging views of the park, and many people enjoy strolling under the lovely maple trees that line the park.
Originally owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) the park was officially named by the Park Board in 1951 after one of its bounding streets. Originally it had been known as Kerrisdale Park under the municipality of Point Grey before the City of Vancouver was amalgamated in 1929. When Strathcona Gardens, once located where the Kerrisdale Arena is now, was renamed Kerrisdale Park, the Park Board altered the name of the West 41st Avenue and Elm Street site to Elm Park.